Mostyn is the largest publicly funded contemporary art institution in Wales, and a flagship for art in the whole UK. Originally founded in 1901, it has a noted reputation for the quality of its exhibitions and its international work with artists and arts organisations, promoting a thoughtful approach to the issues facing individuals and society. It organises, produces and tours exhibitions, learning programmes and engagement activities and has been at the forefront of gallery education and professional development for artists in Wales.
Mostyn vision is to open dialogue on contemporary life through contemporary art exhibitions, learning and engagement, for people of all ages and backgrounds.
Reputation and profile
- Internationally recognised gallery representing and promoting North Wales worldwide.
- Strong reputation across UK and Europe, leading presenter of contemporary art from Wales and internationally
- Award winning architecture, Gold Medal RIBA Royal Institution of British Architects 2010
- Member of the prestigious plusTATE group of UK galleries bringing best curatorial and engagement practice to Wales, and partner with major international art award Artes Mundi
- £2 million pa impact on local economy
- Education programme delivered to schools and other local organisations valued at c£250,000 pa (since May 2010, approx 400 educational workshops, 700 community activity sessions with residents, 10,000+ pupils, students and lifelong learners involved)
- Boosting tourism by attracting over 80,000 visitors a year
- Supporting sales and commercial development of local artists/designers of craft
- Acting as a hub for the development and promotion of Welsh contemporary artists and creatives
- Stimulating quality infrastructure development & regeneration e.g. CASC studios in Garage Street
Social and educational
- Enriching lives through engagement with art, helping understand contemporary life
- Partnering with schools, colleges and universities in opening young minds to the relevance of art to life and the relevance of the creative industries to society
- Partnering with health, social services and community groups with life enhancing and remedial art- based activities
Alfredo Cramerotti, Director